5 essential tips for live content marketing

Our top tips for going live

Our top tips for going live

More brands want to embrace real-time these days as a Twitter generation of consumers have learnt to expect live engagement online. For many marketers live-blogging is still a bit of a novelty, but recent research conducted by real-time platform ScribbleLive suggests that it’s already a proven channel for better engagement. According to the paper readers spend 4 times longer on page for stories told in this format and drive as much as 15 times more page visits than photo galleries.

Sounds like a no brainer, right? So how do you get started? Here Kontenthaus Co-Founder and COO Kate Fairhurst shares her top tips:

1.Define

As with any branded content project, the first step in the process is to define the story to be shared, its key messages, the best timing to tell the story and its desired outcomes.

Consider what the suitable audience is for the piece and set a content plan to speak common sense in the right way. Make sure that you are not crowding audiences with too much unnecessary information and stick to 3-4 key points, which people need to know and what the most appropriate time is to convey this information to them.

Finally, consider what you want to learn as an organisation. Perhaps driving audience is your goal, perhaps you are looking to capture leads, perhaps you are looking to engage with your audiences and capture feedback for the business. Whatever your goal, ensure that you are structuring your streams in ways that can serve these purposes.

2. Promote

Prior to running your live streams consider what marketing channels you can take advantage of to tell your readers of your plans. Apple have this down to a fine art and it is easy to understand how their products generate such amazing consumer interest. However, we can all do the same, too.

Set up your events in advance and share links to the pages so that people know where to go. Don’t be shy! Audiences love a chance to talk to their brands, so tell them about what you’re doing and give your content the best possible chance. Ask audiences for questions and comments ahead of time to whet their appetite. Tell people about how their feedback is shaping the agenda for the live event.

3. Prepare

Build out a detailed content plan to underpin the output that will be run across your events. You know what you want to tell people so prepare the text, images, graphics, polls and video you need. Think about what questions you’ll likely be asked and think about the answers you would like to share, so you can be prompt in your replies.

The better prepared you are, the more success you’ll have. Think about preparing up to 80% of all of your content in advance so all you need to do is post it. You can then use your time during the live event to talk to audiences and serve the remaining 20% of output, which will be needed to keep streams dynamic and real.

4. Interact

Tell stories in real-time and people will come to listen. Give them a chance to interact, ask questions and share views and they come in even greater numbers. Brands have historically been nervous around opening themselves up to this kind of interaction, however most now realise that it is best to be part of the discussion than on the outside.

Some live blogging platforms have commenting systems built in, but if you’re using a system without this function there are other ways of facilitating this. You could easily set up a Twitter hash tag and then publish and respond to the posts as you wish, or simply use your other CMS functions to provide a commenting area underneath a live blog.

Be open, be honest and be prepared for your audiences to charm you with their creativity.

5. Iterate

After an event think about how you can take the successes and move them forward to a new case. The best campaigns are those that can scale and educate audiences to return to the page for more interaction. It could be that your first steps towards live can be developed into a channel of content, which your readers can contribute to and you update yourself on an ongoing basis.

Think about how you can do things better. Real-time content can be multi-channel and multi-format so as you develop in confidence consider what further content formats you can include, where else you can speak with your audiences and what new information you can capture from them to make your streams exciting and compelling.

Leave a Reply